What to do if your Landlord is refusing to return your Deposit?

  1. If your property agent or landlord is refusing to return your deposit you should ask for the prompt return of the deposit in writing. The advocacy group threshold.ie have provided template letters in the useful download section of their website which you can use.
  2. If your landlord of property agents claims that there are some rent arrears, outstanding utility bills or that there has been damage to the property, you should request documentary evidence from your landlord to back up these claims.
  3. If you have not been successful in securing the return of your deposit, you can make a complaint to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). The cost of submitting a complaint online through www.rtb.ie is €15. The cost of submitting a paper application is €25.

Useful links below:

Check if your rental property is registered with the Residential Tenancies Board:


Checklist for Students Renting for the first time:


RTB Dispute Resolution Process explained here:


Irish Tenancy Law – What do the new changes mean for me?